Saturday, November 14, 2015

Benster and D Pick Your Games--Objects In Your Mirror Edition

The question facing a couple teams is this -- can they finish the job as we start to get to the business end of the season?

An eternal question. And one that usually doesn't end well, young fella. Kinda like your picks.

Yeah, yeah. Take shots at me for being a bit of an optimist.

No, seriously, I appreciate your optimism. One day you'll be old and cynical like me.

Gee, I hope not. I always am an optimist. Somebody has to have a little faith around here. But more than that, I believe in HYYYYYPPPPE! So let me provide some. Watch me work!

Minnesota Golden Gophers (+10) vs. Iowa Hawkeyes. It is the first time ever that the Pig is being contested under the lights, and Iowa is a heavy favorite. I have been giving Iowa a lot of praise and credit, considering that they have gotten no respect from any of the members on the committee and they have the same quality win that Alabama has. Iowa has a simple path to Indy, which is just win, and nobody in the West can catch you. The problem is that this game is a rivalry game, and in recent years the Gophers have been a tough out. Minnesota is a team that gave Michigan and Ohio State all they wanted earlier in the year, and the players have some stability in knowing that the coaching staff is going to be sticking around. It's time to see if Iowa is for real, or if they have ran out of magic. Minnesota 19, Iowa 8.

If this game were taking place in Minneapolis, I would pick the Gophers. But the contest will take place in Kinnick Stadium and things haven't gone well for the Gophers there in recent years. I do think hiring Tracy Claes for real was the smart move, but this Iowa team looks like it's going to the Big Ten championship game. Iowa 31, Gophers 20.


Oklahoma Sooners (+2) vs. Baylor Bears. You might be asking yourself why I would choose to pick a game from the Big XII? The reason is that the conference has the motto "One True Champion," because every team will play each other, so there should be no debate at all over who is the champion. Of course, last year Baylor and TCU were co-champs, so what does the Big XII know? Baylor has to win this game at home in Waco, and then win on the road in Fort Worth against TCU in order to be called the "One True Champion," and then they would have a great argument to get into the playoff. Art Briles is a miracle worker for what he has done to make Baylor a name program, but Bob Stoops is experienced and can put up a lot of points too. Oklahoma 56, Baylor 49.

It'll be fun. No one seems to play defense in the Big XII. I'll go with the homestanding Bears. Baylor 45, Oklahoma 38.

Knox College Prairie Fire (NL) vs. Beloit College Bucs. Once again, it is time for some cross-divisional action in the Midwest Conference, and this game will be much discussed among our household. I have much respect for Beloit, and I did almost go there. However, Knox is an amazing place and I love it here. So sorry if I do this, but then again I always pick my school, even if they are playing against Decrepit's school. Knox 17, Belwah 0.

No need to apologize, Seabiscuit. Be true to your school! And, truth be told, Knox is getting better. Beloit can score, though. And they will. Game is at Beloit and I expect my beloved Bucs to get the job done. Beloit 34, Knox 24.


Minnesota Vikings (+3) vs. Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders. The Vikings are quietly sneaking up in the playoff picture, and control their own destiny in the NFC North, because they still get the Packers twice. Mike Zimmer has done a great job and deserves a lot of credit for winning with players he might not have picked himself. Oakland has also played well, and they have a realistic shot at a wild card spot over in the AFC. Heck, it is possible that Minnesota might not be done traveling to the Bay Area this year, if you understand my thought process. That being said, West Coast road trips are often difficult and Derrick Carr has been playing amazing lately, and I highly suggest that you add him to your fantasy roster if you don't like your quarterback. Raiders 24, Vikings 21 in overtime.

If the Vikings are going to slip up, this would be the game. The Raiders are getting better and they can come at you with multiple offensive talents. I'll be curious to see how Teddy Bridgewater plays after coming off a concussion. Raiders 27, Vikings 20.


Detroit LOLions (+10.5) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers. It is getting a little tough to not want to panic, since the Packers have looked not good against Denver and Carolina. The good news is that they return home and get to play the LOLions, who have looked terrible all year. The Lions have not won a game in Wisconsin since 1991. To put that in perspective, George H.W. Bush was president, Mr and Mrs. D had just got married, though not at St. Ignatius Church of Christ, and I would not be born for another few years. Jason Hanson, who played for about 20 years in the Motor City, never won a game in Green Bay. Just a reminder for all those who are pushing the panic button. The last time the Packers lost two straight, they went on to win the next 17 or so, including 4 road playoff games in a row. Packers 35, Lions 0.

The St. Ignatius Church of Christ reference is an old family inside joke. Trust me, it's hilarious. As for the Packers, they get to enjoy a big ol' bowl of chicken soup in Honolulu Blue. The Lions still have talent, but they seem to be in disarray right now and are going to have to start over, yet again. If the Packers get any pass rush going, this is going to be a very long day for Matthew Stafford. He's become used to it. Packers 45, Lions 17.

And now, time for a Special Comment. I am not the first person to offer thoughts about Greg Hardy, nor will I be the last. The fact that he is still in the league is upsetting to me. I do not give a hoot if the man can toss a quarterback to the ground with consistency, but what he did in hitting a woman and getting off on a technicality of the law is an absolute joke, and I do not believe he should be allowed anywhere near a team. How can mothers and daughters hold him up as an example of a player to respect, and buy his jersey, when he has demonstrated that he will lie without conscience. And how he can be welcomed back into the league when it is facing an image problem of domestic violence is beyond me. I don't say this much, but Greg Hardy would never be welcome in my home, or on any team I support. The NFL should be better than that, and Jerry Jones should be better than that as well. It just makes me sick. Ben out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the matter with the Pack?

Mr. D said...

What is the matter with the Pack?

They suck?

Gino said...

I can see the one or two games lost to good Ds who schemed well... But the lolions game has got me wondering.