Saturday, August 29, 2015

Dad's been gone for 25 years

A big smile and a big stogie
My dad passed away on August 30, 1990, now 25 years ago.

I'm fond of this picture of Dad, because it reminds me of who he was. Dad had a big smile and he displayed it often. He liked a glass of Scotch and a big cigar. He was a trusted professional and a hell of a raconteur, a generous soul who never lost his sense of wonder about the world.

Dad wasn't around as much as I would have liked when I was a kid. There were reasons for that -- his job required him to travel and our family situation was less than ideal. Like many men of his generation, he did what he had to do to provide for his family. While he wasn't around all the time, he was never absent. The years haven't changed any of that.

Dad has missed a lot of things in the 25 years since he passed away. Since that day, four of his six surviving children have married. He now has 8 grandchildren. He would have loved to bounce these kids on his knee.

Since I've become a father, I've thought about all the advice my Dad could have offered me. I've thought about the wisdom he would have shared with my son and daughter. I've thought about the delight that they would have had in each other's company. I've thought about the moments that he should have seen.

In the end, you can't worry about advice you don't get. You can remember the wisdom you receive. And when I think of Dad, as this unfortunate anniversary comes and goes, I'll try to smile the way he did. It seems like the wise thing to do.

No comments: