Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thanks for the Memory Hole

The Civil War wasn't really between North and South. I'm increasingly convinced that it involved Eastasia:
If the Confederate flag is finally going to be consigned to museums as an ugly symbol of racism, what about the beloved film offering the most iconic glimpse of that flag in American culture?

I’m talking, of course, about “Gone with the Wind,’’ which won a then-record eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture of 1939, and still ranks as the all-time North American box-office champ with $1.6 billion worth of tickets sold here when adjusted for inflation.
That's the idea of Lou Lumenick, a film critic for the New York Post. So, are you up for that?

1 comment:

Brian said...

I grew up in a town where the high school football stadiums were called Tara and Twelve Oaks.

If I never see GWTW, again, I'd be completely ok with it.