Saturday, December 13, 2014

Nine years of Dilettantism

It began on a gloomy Tuesday afternoon, during the lunch hour at Bank of America's Bloomington Loan Center. B of A was closing the office in Bloomington, combining its operations into another loan center within B of A's normal corporate footprint, so my job was going to Hillsboro, Oregon. I wasn't going to Hillsboro, though, so I would be out of work by April of the following year.

Seemed like a good time to start a blog. And so this blog was born.

It doesn't seem that long ago, but nine years is a long time. I was writing those initial posts about such luminaries as Samkon Gado and Bruce Bartlett. You'll be forgiven if you don't remember either of those people, although Bartlett is still in there pitching.

In the past nine years, we've posted 4,344 times. That's more than one post a day; it's a lot of posting. There were thousands, maybe even millions, of bloggers in the early days. Not many people are doing this any more. The information superhighway is strewn with the detritus of old blogs. Still, it seems like a worthwhile endeavor, so this blog goes on.

I've never made a dime from the venture, but the friendships that have come from blogging have been a reward beyond appraisal. Thank you for your support and your friendship. And thank you for reading.

7 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Still a daily visit after all these years.

Gino said...

but the friendships that have come from blogging have been a reward beyond appraisal.

yes. a thousand times, yes!

Brad said...

Congrats, bud! I hit the 10-year mark in October but forgot to commemorate it. Oh well.

Anyhow, I concur about the valued (and unlikely) friendships forged via this venture. You and Picklesworth are examples of two guys whom I would have likely never met were it not for blogging. I know I'm the better for that.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Absolutely! And I can't help but think that I also got a family in the bargain. :-)

Gino said...

Brad: at least ya'll are locals. how amazed do you think i feel?

First Ringer said...

Congrats!

One more year to the Tin anniversary!

3john2 said...

Congratulations! I think nine years rather contradicts your nomme de blog, though.